nicholas - warren, Ohio
Themes: integrity, work

I Believe in Making an Honest Dollar

This I believe. I believe in working hard to make an honest dollar. We make the dollar what it is by what we use it for. We use the dollar to make our dreams come true and make our life flow smoothly. I use the dollar for fun and also to pay bills. Knowing that I can make money and be independent is my goal. I know that I don’t have to rely on my parents to buy me a thing. I take pride in being independent and self supporting which is why I believe in working hard and making money.

It seems like ever since I was five years old I’ve been working to make an extra buck. The congregation at church use to tip me for being an alter boy, and then as I got older, I started doing odd jobs for people around my neighborhood to make my own spending money. I really started to make a good amount of money for my age. This belief, that working hard would reward me with money, was nice. So when I turned fifteen I got two jobs, one was a bus-boy at a family restaurant and the other was a dishwasher for a catering business. I started saving most everything I earned until I had enough money to buy my first car. On my sixteenth birthday I can honestly say that I was able to buy my first car.

I thought about it harder, and I decided that I didn’t like working for people, and having a set schedule, so I started my own business. I started by mowing lawns for a few people, and doing mulching and light landscaping. Through referrals I am now operating a lawn and landscaping business, that for the past three years has kept me busy from early spring to leaf removal in the fall. It has so far bought me equipment for my business, a new truck and is currently putting me through college.

I believe in the dollar because all that it has done for me so far. I frequently see people waste what I work so hard to obtain. Many of my friends think money grows on trees, because they don’t earn their money. It is given to them by their parents, and they spend it like it comes from an endless pile. They abuse the dollar bill, therefore making them not understand the real value of what they are spending.

I believe in the dollar bill because I feel if I work hard for it now, spend it wisely, and invest it smartly, I won’t have to work hard later in life. Now that I know how to work hard and I know what it is like to bust my butt, I will strive to make it easier for myself to work smart to make the same dollar I used to work so hard for.