Natasha - Lakewood, Colorado
Themes: love

All through my life, I have been taught to love. Love my neighbors, my enemies, and my family. As a child, I never really knew what love was. I didn’t know if I could love my dad more than my mom, my friends more than my enemies. It was rather confusing at times, constantly being told to love, a word with such contradiction. As I grew older, things became even more complicated, one thing pulling me this way, another thing pulling that way, and all the while, I still didn’t understand love.

One day, I was lying in the fresh green grass, gazing up at the sky, and I realized something I had never thought about before. Love is like clouds, always changing, always drifting, but everlasting. Throughout my life, I have had tons of crushes on guys, and even when I was little, I would think that I was in love. Of course I know that it wasn’t true love, but it was some kind of love, the drifting, changing kind of love. But I know that somehow I will always love them in one way, just like I will love my friends, and even my enemies.

I really understood that love was everlasting that day looking up at the clouds. A year or two ago, walking home from the pool, my dad told me something that greatly affected my view of the world.

He said to my sister and I, “Girls, I just got a call, and your grandma Lois has gone to heaven.”

My grandma had passed away, and being as naive as I was, I thought I had to stop loving her. Somehow, I couldn’t force the thoughts of her out of my mind, how much she loved me, how much I loved her. It was impossible for me to stop loving someone who meant so much to me, just because I couldn’t see her anymore. Then it hit me, I don’t have to stop loving her. I never have to stop loving anyone. Love is forever, everlasting. I know that love will change, love may even drift away, but it will always be there. It can grow into rolling clouds of thunder, or be as soft as the slightest fog, but it is always there.