Kristy - Phoenix, Arizona
Themes: family, gratitude

“Other things may change us, but we start and end with family.” Anthony Brandt.

Family to me meant a mother, a father, and an older brother. My brother and I are seven years apart in age, so some would even say I was raised basically as an only child. I beg to differ, I feel my brother has helped shape and change the way I was raised too.

Our family, like anyone else’s, goes through big struggles and hard times. Our most recent hurdle was my brother finding out he was going to be a father. Let me take you back a step and tell you- I love my brother. But I did not see him having kids for quite a while. There were even multiple times I got the credit for being the more mature one.

Being as close as we are, I was here at Horizon in my Jr. Year math class when he called with an emergency. His voice was struck with panic and excitement to tell me “Sister! Jewels is pregnant.” I about fell out of my chair I was happy to be told first in the entire family, but felt he left me with a big responsibility. (Secret holding is not my best trait). Of course I told him congrats and that I’d be there every step of the way. I did on the other hand realize that it would not be as easy for him to tell the rest of our family. Soon my brother’s girlfriend, Jewels, had told her whole family and they were happy to know she’d be keeping the child and could not wait to plan a wedding soon after. Telling my mother was not as simple. Last on both sides of the family to know, my brother asked if I would be there with him. I agreed and I’ll leave it to say until Jewels gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, my mother could not handle it.

My mother has come around, but it put a big space between our family for those nine months. I tell you this story in particular because Melody Joy Bishop, my beautiful niece, was a blessing in disguise. She brought our family closer and will continue to be the added joy to our family. Family to me now means a mother, a father, a brother and his wife, with little Melody Joy.