Benjamin - Denver, Colorado

Have you ever made a mistake before, and got in a lot of trouble? And after you made the mistake, did you ever make it again? I believe that no matter how many times you make the same mistake, eventually you will learn from it, and never make the same mistake again.

When I was younger I always made the mistake of not controlling my frustration. An example of this is when my sister locked me out of the house for a couple of minutes, but I got so frustrated that I kicked through three of the glass panes on the door, and cut my foot on the broken glass. After making this mistake I learned that letting my frustration overcome me will never end in something good, and being able to calm down and act rationally will always be better in the long run; however, it is always hard to hold back when you are frustrated or mad. Even though I have learned that letting out your frustration is the wrong thing to do, I personally have not reached the stage where I can just calm down and not let my frustration out. Therefore, learning from your mistakes does not necessarily mean that you never make the mistake again; it simply means that you understand what you did was wrong and that you will try not to make the same mistake again.

This belief can easily be tested because people often realize they have made a mistake, but they are too naïve and belligerent to step back and learn why it was wrong, and why they shouldn’t do it again. For example, I left my bike outside of my house unlocked one time, and of course someone stole it. I realized that I had made the mistake of not locking it; however, I looked the other way and said that it was not my fault; people shouldn’t take what is not theirs. I did this because I didn’t want to take the blame for the mistake and admit that I had done something wrong.

In the end, no matter how long it takes eventually you will learn that you have made a mistake, and that the next time you could possibly make the same mistake you look back at the lesson you have already learned and realize that it is not worth it. Everyone learns from their mistakes. This I believe.