Katie - Youngstown, Ohio
Themes: purpose

I believe that everything happens for a reason. As I go through my life, I am constantly exposed to a multitude of different experiences. Some of these experiences are good, and create a sense of happiness. Other experiences are not so good, and create feelings as deep as hopelessness and despair. Regardless of how these experiences make me “feel,” I believe that they all happen for a specific reason. Finding reasons for why good things happen is not something that involves a lot of thought. Positive experiences are presented to me every day, whether it be something small, like receiving a compliment at work for a job well done, or doing well on a test at school. The reasons these moments occur are to inspire within me confidence, self-esteem, and to encourage me to keep striving for something better. What is more difficult, but essential, to survive in a world like this, is to be able to find reasons for the seemingly horrendous acts of violence and disregard for human life that I see every day.

It is no secret that the events that occurred on 9-11 were horrible, disgusting acts that are looked back upon with fear and sadness. The same is true for the very recent tragedies that occurred at Virginia Tech. When I think about these two days in particular, I feel so many things. I feel hopeless, scared, and vulnerable. In this world, it can be hard for anyone to keep a positive attitude, or to pull some sense of good from a heap of bad. But, I believe everything happens for a reason. Because of this, I can look at the horrible things that took place on 9-11 and at Virginia Tech, and I can see that although the events that occurred will forever bring pain and suffering, there was a reason that they happened. They happened to teach me how to value life. They showed me that every moment is precious; to never take one single day I am given for granted, because it can end at any moment. They happened to show the country, and the world that in the midst of unspeakable tragedies, we can come together as one to comfort and support those who are in need.

Not only the negative but all the positive things that occur in life happens for a reason. They happen to keep you motivated and moving. It can be the littlest things that can happen but have such a positive effect. Whether positive or negative they each have there own reason of occurring. It can be to help you grow,or to understand how short life can be.

This I believe, that everything happens for a reason. The positive happen to inspire me to continue to strive for more. The negative happen to test my limits and allow me to grow. This belief is what helps me see every day as an opportunity, rather than an obligation.