john - littleton,, Colorado

Why focus on the material world?

Ever wondered why you go to school? Why would you want a better job later on in life, with an expensive car and an enormous house? I personally believe that this is frivolous if all you are doing this for is personal gain instead of helping others and helping further the human race as a whole. Three things people should do in life are very simple, but have substantial results in the end. First, I think that a sound education should be obtained, second, a job should be developed that pays the bills and provides for a family, and last, that leftover money should be used to help your church, your family and your friends.

Receiving the best education to my ability is one of my greatest goals because once a solid education is obtained, anything can be done. For example I am focusing on getting a Master’s Degree and later on I will go to Medical or Dental school and then graduate from there. Another possibility is a career with Lockheed Martin and if the stars align, maybe something with NASA. After spending the first part of my life in school, I will be free to open my dental practice, medical practice or job with something important. As said by Warren Buffett, “I don’t look to jump over 7-foot bars. I rather look around for 1-foot bars I can step over.” What I believe is supported by this because rather than looking at school as being one huge goal with many challenges, I reduce the scale to a reasonable size with simple tasks such as completing homework and additionally getting things in on time. But in the scheme of it all, this, at first glance, seems to be very self serving and egotistical.

The following thing that I will do to benefit the whole world and mankind will be to establish a job that will benefit not only everyone else, but me and my family too. A living example of this is my mother and father because my mother helps people when they are suffering with pain in their mouth, and my father helps ensure people will be in good hands©. They both are self-sacrificial and care for their family and friends before themselves. They both are the most preeminent parents provided for me and I am glad they are my parents because they are the best example of not focusing on the material world and having a level head.

The final goal in my life is to be able to give to my church and my parents and then put the leftover money into sound investments and help make my family happy. This is who I am and what I believe because after the real world, what you have in the material world does not matter in the end.