April - Murrayville, Illinois
Themes: nature

This I Believe In Oak Trees

Have you ever looked at a great oak tree in all its, splendor? Trees are more then visual beauties; they represent the stability of family. My heart yearns for thick moss covered bark that only permanence can produce. Arm like branches, outstretched engulfing you in a secure embrace. Through snow, wind, drought and disease, vein like roots extend and intertwine deep beneath the rich soil below, holding firmly even, digging deeper into the depths below. Roots are essential to the life of the tree, providing, giving life, sending nutrients and hope above. “Don’t give up for I am still hear holding on, your leaves may be ruffled your limbs may brake but I will still be hear to support you.” “As long as I am here you will make it through.”

My childhood resembled less warmth of the eternal tree and more that of a cold, perpetual tumble weed. As if Mother Nature, my mother guided winds to blow me rhythmically away from the stability of emotional connections. Soon as I gained comfort in my new surroundings and the urge to settle in crept through me, the winds would change once more. Off again, tumbling into the vast cold unknown, cycling with the changing seasons. Hoping to get tangled long enough to take root before the cycling repeated again.

In my youthful desperation to unearth some meaning in my existence, I prepared a list I so fondly deemed Benefits of a Social Tumbleweed. Through this list I gained insight to what I have gained by experience.

I have achieving a more worldly approach to life by learning of many religion that are thought to be very different, and finding many of the important principles are the same. Catholic, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Christian, all call upon a higher power within times of need, and all follow the Golden Rules. Through my friends Rosa; Salvadorian, Polly; Philippineno and Sheila; Indian, I was allowed to experience first hand many cultures, and gain knowledge and respect for diversity.

My new found curiosity and enthusiasm to understand these diverse cultures always brought me back to what I was missing. Deeply imbedded like the great oaks roots was family. These people although far from there cultural homes, were still firmly devoted over all, to there family. No one could feel alone, Grandparents were there to keep them grounded; Parents to provide, siblings to protect; cousins gave strength, and aunts & uncles gave hope and would always be there to steady them.

These family’s roots extend and intertwined within the wall of there homes, providing, giving life, sending the warmth of love and hope to everyone that enters. With this in mind, I have set out to find my piece of earth where my family can grow strong and imbed our roots. I am not there just yet, but soon I will look at that great oak tree and see, Me.