Matthew - Pennsylvania

This I Believe Essay

Growing up as a kid and going to church every Sunday, I have learned about my religion. My religious parents truly believed in God and have faith now still believing in God. Growing up as a kid, my parents always took me to church every Sunday morning to learn about our religion. Waking up early in the morning and going to the church service I learned about God. When I meet different types of people that don’t believe in God, we have some controversy. I believe in only one God and one God only. So when I pray, I know I’m praying to the God I believe in.

The moments when my beliefs were tested were when I prayed to God. For example, when my grandma was very sick in the hospital I prayed to God she would get better. The next day she was released from the hospital and got better as the days went on. I also had classes on the weekends before church that were bible classes. This got me ready for my first communion and my commencement. This was a part of my religion I had to follow. This had formed my religious beliefs. Every weekend I learned more about the God I believed in. Throughout high school, students would be allowed to pray outside of the school in the morning before the announcements. This shaped what I believe in because I knew my other classmates had believed in God to and had strong beliefs. I see people everyday on campus passing out flyers about God and what to believe in. I know what I believe in but I don’t want anyone else telling me different so I just ignore him or her. Another personal experience I encountered was during work. People would get into groups in an office and pray. During high school I also went to youth group. It was fun to get together with a bunch of your friends and even pray to God at the same time. You would spend half the time doing fun activities and the other half discussing with your friends and others about God. Not only can I share my feelings about God but with my friends.

When people ask me why I go to church and sit through the service, I tell them this is what I believe in and there is nothing that is going to change my mind about my religion. When times get tough I ask God to help me out with things and sometimes I feel like there is faith. Other times he doesn’t answer all my prayers, this I believe in. By being raised by parents that both have strong belief in their religion showed me how it works and gives you guidelines between right and wrong, this I believe in. I know when I go to bed at night, I pray to God giving me faith for good things to happen in the future. By having experienced my life situations and hard times and having nowhere to turn to, having faith in my god is what got me through everything

In all I think by having something you believe in, it gives you self-esteem and trust in your life. In my case I believe in God, so therefore I have trust in him to help me when time get tough, this I believe in.