Jordan - Englewood, Colorado

Music is the Answer

What would the world be like without music? Music is an opportunity to express yourself, get to know others, and bond over a common interest. Your collection of songs is always there for you when you come home laughing, crying, or you just need to calm down. If you can pick the right song or CD, then I believe that you can find the right song to listen to that fits any mood that you are in.

Music has played an extremely important part in my life. Since my dad is a music-maniac, I was raised learning to snap my fingers to the rhythm buried beneath the lyrics and guitar riffs of every song that was played on the radio. Music is the bonding force between my dad and me. Whether it is just listening to music in the car, or making a song on Garage Band, it has always been something that we can enjoy together.

A few weeks ago, on the way back from a trip to England, I was sick with a sinus infection. My restlessness and exhaustion finally consumed me and I turned to my dad, hoping that he could fix my miserable mood. Without saying anything, he handed me the headphones of his iPod. At first I heard nothing, but then I head the opening notes of the song “Kiss” by Prince. A smile quietly spread across my face, and my mood was healed, for at least the duration of the song.

Since I have gathered a large music repertoire from my dad, whatever mood I am in I can find a song that fits my frame of mind. When I come home stressed by omnipresent homework, I chose mellow, relaxing songs with airy vocals to help me get through the night. If I am feeling particularly energetic, I will come home and play something with a catchy beat, and obvious lyrical hooks.

Sometimes I pick music that tells me exactly what I need to hear. Once, I came home after an extremely stressful and demanding day at school, got into the car, and immediately picked up my iPod. I knew what I needed to hear.

When “Let yourself float upon the notion you can work it out…” drifted through the speakers, I finally started to relax.

Everybody has a song that they like to come home to, and a lot of people lean on music in difficult times. Although music might not be as important to some as it is to me, it definitely plays a large part in everyday life. In the famous words of Madonna, “Music makes the people come together”.