Marta - carpentersville, Illinois

I believe that friendship is one of the most valuable gifts you can receive throughout your lifetime. Once you have found friendship, hold onto it because it will make your life worthwhile. I believe that friends are people who know all about you, the good and the bad, but don’t judge you yet love you for who you are.

People make friends everyday, but what do you call a friend? I believe that a friend isn’t someone I meet when I go out and possibly exchange phone numbers with; it is someone that enters your life and constantly pushes to stay in it. The friends that I have now mean the world to me. When I was younger we moved around a lot, and it was hard for me to keep in touch with my friends because we were so young. I realized that when I hit high school, those people that I met were the ones. There are a significant number of people that are my true friends right now. Half of those friends I met in high school, and half I met or became closer to in college.

I realized that friendship gets stronger when you get older. When I came to the University of Illinois, this is when I finally noticed who my true friends were. Those are the people who I kept in touch with, and they did the same. One of my best friends goes to Western and our friendship just keeps getting stronger and stronger. We talk almost everyday, nothing feels like it has changed since we went to college. I still goof around and joke with her, and I know at the end of the day she is still my friend.

I also made new friendships when I first entered college, and I have been extremely close with them since then. Friendship is a huge part of my life, and I could not see myself living a happy life if it weren’t for my friend. Trust, honesty, sympathy, encouragement, comfort, happiness, laughter, and drama are just a few terms that describe perfect friendship to me, but there is so much more that defines it. With my friends I feel that I can talk about anything, we can do anything and I don’t feel stupid for doing it, we can just be ourselves and let loose without having to worry about anyone judging us. I have my close friends; I have my people that I turn to. Without friendship, I cannot see myself living a happy life. I believe that these are some of the components that people need and more specifically deserve to have in their life. Friendship is a privilege that should not be taken for granted. So far in my life, I have been blessed, and I pray that these important people in my life will remain