Jake - Tinley Park, Illinois

I believe that there is a god, and although he may not always let things happen the way that I want him to, he is always watching over me.

About eight years ago I was sleeping in my room when I heard our house phone ringing around one o’clock in the morning. It was my aunt calling to tell my mom that my uncle was just taken to the hospital and that the situation didn’t look good. My sister and I went with my mother to the hospital, scared and not knowing exactly what was going to happen in the next hour. We were sitting in a waiting room with other family members when the doctor came out and told us that my uncle was dead from a heart attack at the age of forty-one. I really can’t recall much of what happened in the few days following except for the funeral, and being in total shock from what had happened. The only feeling I do remember was that I found myself asking God why he would allow for something like this to happen.

My uncle was the type of person that everybody loved. Whenever he entered a room it lit up, while everyone was happy to see him. He could work a crowd unlike anyone I have ever met, and always left a person with a smile on their face when they finished talking with him. He helped people as much as he could, never complained along the way, and was an overall good man. My uncle was the type of man that I hope someday I can be. I looked up to him with as much respect as I could, and learned a lot from him in the process.

I am not saying that this is the only hard thing that I have had to deal with in life, but that events such as this let me know on a daily basis that God is there, and that he may let certain things happen to me for a reason. With every hardship that I endure, I feel like it is another test for me to pass on my journey through life. Having something like this happen helps me to live a better life, and helps direct me down the right path that will eventually lead to my happiness and success.