Cara - Greenwood Village, Colorado
Themes: love

Many people ask the same question, “What is love?” Maybe it is not necessarily what love is, but more “Am I loved?” I believe that no matter who you are and what circumstance you’re in, somebody loves you. Even through people’s darkest hours, there is someone there to say I love you. I believe that it may not be through actions or words, but it can be a feeling or sense of hope that can ultimately pull them through harsh circumstances. Love, in this approach, being defined as somebody being there for you, who will always say the meaningful “I love you, too”, when you’re saying “I love you.” And what about the people who feel all alone and are at the depths of despair? Are they loved too? I believe that out in the world there is a person that loves each one of those people for whom they are, that someone will reach out to them and fill their hearts with joy.

Some may ask “How would you know? How do you know everyone is loved?” I know because when I have gone through some of the toughest times in my life, I’ve had people by my side saying I love you, meaning it, and helping me get through the phase. A more juvenile, but still painful experience is the ending of a young love. The hardest heartbreak was my last, and it seemed to be the strongest. I spent practically my whole summer with him and we got unimaginably close. We’d stay on the phone till the morning hours, and could tell each other everything. Then I can even remember the day he asked me to be his girlfriend. We had talked about not searching for love but letting it find either one of us; whether it was him or me. Love found us. Most stories bring back smiles, except for the story of the day we lost our love. It was a day I thought wouldn’t come for a while. I saw him in the morning, but I could tell something was different, as I did the night before. Later in the morning, we went into the school courtyard and he started to speak. He held my hand as I listened to the painful words spilling from his mouth, “Our lives are too hectic for each other. I think it’s time for us not to be together anymore.” I can still remember the tears streaming down my face, and the feeling of my heart getting torn at the seams. For me, nothing seemed right for quite a while after the event. I felt depressed, wrote morbid poems, and practically made my life blue. No one seemed to understand, and I felt no one could be there to help. Although at that time, it felt like the world was ending, I found that I had my friends and family trying to help me and show their love for me. I got hugs and words of advice from practically everyone I knew. I had shoulders to cry on, people to spill my heart to, and those people I knew truly loved me. I also realized that from their love, I gained a sense of hope that it was going to be ok in the end. On the contrary of losing a love, I had gotten that love replaced by the compassion of others and their caring hearts. From this experience I started to live by the quote “Everything is ok in the end, if it’s not ok, it’s not the end.” Frankly, that’s my life in a nutshell.

It is not just heartbreaks, lonely hours, and things that make us depressed out of our minds, it can be so much more than that. It can be death, any sort of loss, hurtful words, and unexplainable things no one else could understand. Most people or all people have to go through pain in their life. This pain can be horrendous, but I believe anyone can look around, in any sort of way, and can feel love coming through the tough times. I say this because I believe in love, I believe no one is without love, and I believe everyone is loved.