Bill - Saint Peters, Missouri

-The Superman Formula-

Never give up! You can do it! The same message most people disregard as some sort of optimist drool is actually a constant belief I carry every day.

As a boy, I was bombarded with those inspirational posters all throughout high school and middle school. While I listened to them and considered them to contain sage advice, I never actually exercised the word until after my graduation.

One of the biggest differences between high school and college is that a bus doesn’t pick you up and take you to school. From my house, college is at least two miles, and I don’t drive, nor do I own a bike. So I get around using the oldest method known to man: moving your feet. Quite a daunting task to some, it has become a daily commute and adventurous experience for me.

The first time I attempted walking to school, I thought to myself “I know the general direction to school, but what if I get lost? What if I can’t find it?” Indeed, I had been to the campus before, but I wasn’t very good with directions. Thankfully, I was a boy, and like most boys exposed to storytelling, books, television, or video games, carried a massive sense of adventure. Following what I knew, I quickly spotted the campus. Before even crossing the bridge into Cottleville, the college stood viewable over the tall buildings and trees like a castle on a hill. The first trip on foot took about an hour, but most of my later trips would take only 45 minutes.

The first trips were in the summer of late July, so the weather was clear and permitting. There were wet and rainy days though, and the semester carried well into the freezing winter. Thankfully, I had no intentions of giving up, so I bundled myself in three layers of clothes and covered anything I didn’t even want to feel cold, and persisted through frozen land and wet soggy rain in a warm, weather-proof suit. I can say with great pride that I have only caught a cold once from these adventures, and it lasted only a few days.

There are many other daily rewards I reap from this besides just reaching the campus. Unlike my high school years, I am now in excellent physical condition and carry a much brighter personality. I also get to see many wild animals that would often go hidden on a daily basis, such as turkeys, turtles, otters, caterpillars, and even cranes. When I am an old man, I can say with a straight face that I “walked three miles every day no matter what to get to school, and enjoyed every minute of it.” When I do have kids, I’m going to teach them the same kind of determination.