Henry - Rio Rico, Arizona

Steven Tyler of Aerosmith said it best, “Life’s a journey, not a destination.” These words are a constant reminder to enjoy life every single day. Let’s all take in the blue sky, white clouds, golden yellow sun, green grass, fresh earth, magnificent trees, and everything else the world offers. Without a moment’s notice all splendor in life may be taken away from us.

Life is incredibly fleeting, easily missed if all too consumed by work, routine, and stagnation. Beauty is all around if we are willing to open our eyes, and ourselves, to it all. Societal demands have made a busy life inevitable for the great majority of us. School and work, work and school herd us all towards the American, capitalist dream. Spend money to make money and make money to spend money. Wealth and material possessions are understandably fine goals; however, they are not by any means, the only.

Losing sight about what really matters in life is an absolute travesty which we should, and can, avoid. This is not to say that we should all quit our jobs and begin saving whales for Greenpeace! Of course, if you find this your life dream, indulge yourself, by all means! Instead of worrying over such things as rent, car payments, etc- let’s remember to slow our world down as much as possible. All of us need to take a walk, go out for a late evening drive with someone attractive, or write a letter to a friend or loved one.

We should catch summer sunsets, sweat a little, drink cool, tall drinks, close our eyes and allow ourselves to drift away in the afternoon breeze. Every single day we are alive is a gift. These gifts are precious and rare. The odds that this chunk of rock we call Earth orbits the sun in just the right distance to nurture life is phenomenal. The universe as we know it is a cold, desolate, uninhabited place. 4.5 billion years have passed, as best anyone can figure, and at most, as humans, we’re afforded 100+ years.

If we, everyday take time enough to do something for another person, or ourselves even, we may all have the chance to lead a more peaceful, humble, happier existence, I do believe.