Elizabeth - Florence, Alabama

Learning to Live

Have you ever wondered what it feels like to be in a serious relationship for a year and a half, acting like you were married? About 6 months ago, that was me. I was the girl sitting at his apartment waiting on him to get off work or home from the gym. He told me that I couldn’t hang out with any of my friends unless he met them and approved. Oh, and you can forget about going to chapter meetings on Sunday night with the girls. After that horrific relationship ended, I decided that life was too short to live locked up in an apartment waiting on a stupid boy. So, after coming to my senses, I decided to live my life to the fullest.

Going to Louie Louie’s on a week night just to get big black Xs on my hands to hear the most popular local bands was never an option before, but now I do what I want without having to worry about pleasing some boy. I even hang out at the dorms with the girls any time I want.

On New Year’s Eve two years ago, I was not allowed to go anywhere with my friends. He made me stay with him and his friends. Well, this year, I drove two and a half hours back to Florence to hang out with my friends–what I wanted to do last year. Also, I was never allowed t play intramural sports last year. Now, I am the girl who always gives 110%. From diving after balls to sliding into home plate just for fun made it so much more enjoyable. I hated being the nonexistent girl who always played it safe.

If I were still in that relationship, I wouldn’t have even known what it feels like to let loose every once in a while, or even what it feels like to have 80 sisters who care about me. I never knew what I was missing until I got out and experienced life. I believe in living life to the fullest. I will never let anyone tell me that I can’t do something ever again.