Brett - Denver, Colorado

The Road Not Paved

What is Motivation? Do you decide your future? If so then I believe that my story will help explain my motivation to where I am today. When I was a young child, I was motivated to do great in school. I believe that you don’t always have to believe what people tell you..

“You’re Mathematical ability isn’t to level of being in the advanced math class,” said Mrs. Paterson my fourth grade math teacher. I just replied with, a smirk on my face, and said, “I’m pretty sure I do, you just don’t see it.” This conversation only happened, because, of kid named Tyler Flinn. He was a nice, kid, but almost every single day, Mrs. Paterson would point him out in class as a perfect example of a math student. This made me and others mad and I decided to show my mathematical abilities that year. What I took as an insult, helped motivate me to excel in my mathematic abilities.

“A little motivation can go a long way.” I believe that at least once in my life I proved to be rather exceptional in math. I believe that motivation is the key to paving the future. Disproving a teacher is all I needed to get me motivated. A day doesn’t go by that I don’t regret becoming a better math student in school. As the fourth grade year ended I went into the fifth grade, where my motivation was, “Superb,” said my fifth grade math teacher Mr. Ritima. Just hearing that from my teacher really sparked my liking for math.

Becoming motivated is something that one cannot just ignore but indulge themselves in. As I progress in life, I will always remember the fourth grade as a motivational starter to my life. I do not wish to say that Mrs. Paterson insulted, but rather giving me advice.

As I look upon time for remembrance I know that the path I’ve set for myself is of my own doing and my own choice. People will like you or dislike you based on your social status, or because of who you are. Nothing in this world stop you from making you’re decision how your life will go. This I believe.