Zoe - Saco, Maine

I believe that everything that I ever needed to know I learned in kindergarten. I learned how to be in kindergarten. Kindergarten taught me many important things. In fact, when I stop and think about it, kindergarten shaped the way I act and the way I treat people, which is not a bad thing. I think that one of the most influential things it taught me was independence, how to become my own person.

On the first day of kindergarten, when we all sat in the couch area, went around in a circle, and said our names and our favorite color, and when our birthday was, all three girls that spoke before me said that pink was their favorite color. I thought maybe a girl’s favorite color is supposed to be pink, or maybe, it’s not. I told my new teacher and classmates that my favorite color was blue. Megan Letendre, who is now one of my best friends, laughed and said, “That’s a BOY color!” Completely embarrassed, I looked to the teacher for support. She simply replied that colors are not boy colors or girl colors, they are just colors. I realized that she was right. I could like any color I wanted. I subconsciously discovered that everyone is different and everybody has different points of view. Personally, I liked blue better than I liked pink, and Megan happened to like pink better than blue.

Kindergarten aided in learning how to share and get along with other kids and people. When Christmas rolled around, and we all began making ornaments for our Christmas trees, Mrs. McCormick, our teacher, did not have enough markers for us each to have a green and a red. She told us that we had to share them. A portion of the students did not fully comprehend that concept of sharing. Therefore, while I was beautifying the popsicle stick frame on my ornament, one of the boys ripped the green Crayola marker from my hand and ran away with it. This is where the Golden Rule came into play; treat others that way you would want to be treated. My first instinct was to go and rip the marker out of his hand, like he did to me, but I ended up waiting until he finished with it and went over and asked him if I could have the marker back.

You know whenever you would go on a field trip and you would have to cross the street, the teacher would announce that you need a “buddy” that you stick with the entire field trip, or all eighteen of us needed to link arms. This applies to my life now as a young adult. Sometimes you need a friend to stick by your side through all the transitions in life. . Whether you are confronted with the looming stalks of the corn maze, or faced with the unknowns of high school, it always to helps to link up with your “buddy”

If you think of it literally, kindergarten did not teach me everything I need to know. I was not taught history or algebra but I was taught more important things like sharing and independence. Kindergarten taught me how to grow up and how to use common sense, to be kind and share the red and green markers when the teacher doesn’t have enough. It may have not taught me the facts of life, but I was taught how to use them. For everyone, kindergarten is you first experience in the real world.