Nehemias - Denver, Colorado

Sometimes it is not the prize earned, it is the journey that leas you to it. Many people have not had the pportunity to experience the journey. Why? Because they have bee blinded by their own self awareness that they are not concious enough to see what is around them.

I have come to ralize this through the power of children as i awatche them reacth etheir fullest potential and accomplisht taskeds though prebiouly to be impossible. I am a pllying or a job this summer working with children at Horizons, a marvelous progaram for children f low income familis. I to was one of the se students. In fact, I was once on the the first to be blessed with this amazing opportunity that has changed my life. Ita has opened my yes to a world of dreams ihnt whicht there are no limitations to what I can do. I graduated from this program just last summer. This program iw what breadened my borders and alowed me to go to a private school with a scholarship. It is the greatest learning experience for any child and I sincerely cherish it.

Ms. Jenny, a teacher at Horizons, made a decision to give three of the graduating students an opportunity to work as an intern and help teach the kids. ONce i heard about the job the first thing that popped into my head was, “How much money will I make if I do this?” So I told Ms. Jenny i was interested and she sent me a n application for the job. I read through tthe questions, filled tehem aut as persuasively as possible, folded it neatly, stuck it in an envelope and sent it back. Now all I could say was, “What can I buy with all this money?”

However, as a requirement of the job i had to voulunteer on their Super Saturdays. A Super Saturday is when the kids come and do some fun projects and experiments to continue to learn all year long. I went and there my pespective on the situation had changed. I was asked to help the kids aon a project tht they were doing. I helped, tried to help them solve their way through it, and teach them something as they progressed. Once I saw them finallize, they were so amazingly pleased with their result. All i saw was there gleaming smiles and a look in their eyes screaming success. This was a powerful image to me. I came to realize that it was not about the cash reward earned, it was a bout the watching the kids learna dn grow. I realized her how importante this program was to me. And I felt blessed that more kids were now being given that same opportunity. Horizons is about opportunities, having the mindset that there are no limits and about loving your education and holding onto it as tight as you can and not letting anybody pry it away from you.

It isn’t about the prizes and gizmos, nor the about boosting egos. I tis really about the reason why you got that prize. And if you look hard enough with the correct intentions, I am sure you will find it pleasing. That is something I believe.