Stacie - Hubbard, Ohio

Why do I believe a college education is important? Let’s start with some simple statistics. The average college graduate, with a bachelors degree or higher, earns are $50,700(“Fast Facts”). The average high school graduate earns $30,400 (“Fast Facts”). Without a high school diploma or GED, you can expect to only make $24,000 (not to mention being on welfare, Medicaid, or other state or government assistance) (“Fast Facts”). With your college degree, you can have a better chance of receiving benefits including health insurance, vacation and sick time, 401K and profit sharing. Currently as an YSU student, I work at Inner Circle Pizza as a waitress, with no benefits, making three dollars an hour plus tips. This is not enough for me to survive on. Luckily, I live at home; do not have to pay rent, groceries, utilities and any other bill that comes along when you are on your own.

The average student graduates high school at eighteen years old. At this age you are considered an adult, old enough to vote, play the lottery, go to war, buy cigarettes, porn and get married. Yet the government thinks you are too immature to drink or purchase alcohol. Attending college give you a chance to mature. In this past year at YSU, I have matured. I’ve learned that you have to become responsible for your studies and no one is going to look after you. It’s your choice to go to class and make good decisions. If you don’t they will fail you without even thinking twice.

An education is something no one can take away from you. If you are working at a factory and get laid off, you are going to have to scramble for a new job. If you are working in the professional field and your company closes, you have your education to fall back on, making finding another job easier. When I graduate from YSU with my bachelors in nursing, I hope to work at North side Hospital along side my mother like I have always wanted. If the hospital decides to close, I know I will be able to work at another hospital with out a problem and not have to panic for a new source of income. I believe in education and that good things will come out of having one. I come to this belief by seeing my mother as a full time RN and how the talks of Forum Health closing not really affecting her career. I can’t wait to get out of college and experience it for myself.

Work Cited

“Fast Facts.” Fast Facts. National Center for Educational Statistics. 5 May 2007