Kelly - Evergreen, Colorado

A Lesson to Learn

Challenges and hardships approach us each and everyday, but do we ever stop and think about how those difficulties affect us? I believe that the challenges we endure in everyday life teach us valuable lessons. I have encountered plenty of sorrow and hard times in my life but I feel that I’ve learned something extremely important about myself from them.

Last month my family faced a very big challenge when my father had a stroke. At first I was so worried and didn’t know what would happen to him and if he would be okay. He was in the hospital for a long time and needed a lot of help with small things. I couldn’t possibly understand why this had happened to our family. I didn’t think that any good could come out of this disaster, and my doubts rose more and more as the days passed. My mom was never home, she was always with my dad at the hospital and I always found myself making dinner for my two brothers and cleaning up the house, while still finding time for school and sports. Although I was extremely stressed and tired, I learned something very important about myself. I learned that I’m responsible and can do things on my own without a lot of outside help. Also, I learned that a family can come together after a tragedy and be closer than ever. My family stuck together and we all learned something new about each other that we never knew before. That is what my father’s stroke taught me, and I carry that lesson with me each and every day.

Since my father’s stroke I have realized that other tragedies and challenges can teach you important lessons. The road bumps in life don’t always have to shake up your life, good can come out of them too. Although I struggled and had a difficult time dealing with the pain of my father’s stroke, I made it through and feel like a much stronger person. I now know that bad things can lead to good endings, you just have to look for that silver lining in the dark cloud and realize that you have learned a lot. This I truly believe.