Ericka - Saco, Maine

I sincerely believe that true friendship conquers all. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Friends are there for you through every aspect of life: pain, love, sorrow, heartbreak; the list could go on. Friends are the people who make life interesting, funny, and sometimes, even worth living. Even though most likely they’re not going to be the same people throughout your whole life, there are a few exceptions. People change, they move away, or even if you just drift apart. You’ll look back and remember the good times you had, and the friendship bond that you shared.

Friends are the people who reassure you that a guy is lucky to be with you. Then when he breaks your heart, they’re the ones who tell you he isn’t worth your time, and you deserve somebody better. They’re there for you when you’re sad about the breakup, then once your mad, they help plot revenge schemes. Friends are the people who encourage you to go out on a limb and go after the cute new kid at school. Then they’re also the ones who have a plan to get you out of that date you really don’t want to go on.

Real friends borrow each other’s clothes, if you happen to be the same size, and they lend each other money. They’re the people you call when suddenly the mood strikes you to go on a mall trip. Friends talk late at night, cover for each other in sticky situations, and stick up for each other. When some bad rumor about you goes around, they help you figure out what to do about it.

When your parents split up, they comfort you. When you go to summer camp, they write to you. When they go on exotic, luxurious vacations, if they don’t bring you along, then they buy you souvenirs.

Friends share drinks, and give each other colds. But they really don’t mind. It’s a small price to pay for being around each other so much. They tell you if you have something in your teeth, and if you have really bad breath, and should go brush your teeth. They’re honest with you and say that, really, that shirt doesn’t look good on you, or that your outfit just doesn’t match. They also tell you that your fly”s unzipped, or if your underwear’s showing.

Friends get in stupid fights where they say things they don’t mean. Then sometimes, just a few hours later, admit that they’re sorry, and are immediately best friends again.

Almost all of these examples are a mirror image of me and my own best friend. We’ve become so close over the years, and I really don’t know what I’d do without her. I can see us being friends 20 years down the road. That’s the kind of friendship we share. It’s rare, so you hold on to it for as long as possible.

The good, the bad, the ugly, the funny; friends are what help you get through life. And really, they make it quite interesting along the way. I honestly believe that friendship conquers all.