Robyn - Romeoville, Illinois

I believe that all people have a true calling. There is one thing that people are meant to do with their lives, whether it be discovering the cure for cancer or becoming a racecar driver. Most people spend their young existences pondering their futures. Those searching may or may not immediately discover what they’re meant to do, and it may not feel as profound as what others find they’re to do. When people do find their life’s work, their lives seem a little clearer.

Throughout high school I always thought I knew what I wanted to do with my life: become an accountant and make a respectable living. Math is something I’ve always been good at – I was deemed the human calculator by my friends. Numbers just came easily to me. As much as I loved math, however, I was much more in love with music. I could have been found in the choir room most days, singing to my heart’s content. Studies have shown that math and music are very closely related with their proportions – the first person to make that connection would have been Pythagoras, the infamous philosopher and mathematician. I seemed to excel in both mathematics and the arts, and through encouragement from my directors and peers, it quickly became apparent that I should continue my pursuit of musical happiness.

Right before I graduated high school, I had chosen to attend North Central College in Naperville as a Vocal Performance major. I thought it would be a good idea to major in something I loved rather than something that would make me a living – math was one of my strengths, but music was my passion. After a semester of taking music courses, however, I was unsatisfied. The courses were easy and the people were relatively nice, but I just wasn’t happy with the way things were going. Obtaining a degree in music was very different from just performing music. I thought the solution to my problem was to switch majors to my original intention – Accounting. Nevertheless, I was unhappy with that as well. My freshman year of college wasn’t going the way I had hoped.

Because I had switched my major in the middle of my freshman year, my academic advisor suggested that I take a class that helps students decide what they want to do with their majors and their lives. That class was the best class I have ever taken. It made me do a lot of thinking, and I came to the conclusion that the school I was attending wasn’t the right one for me. I began searching for schools with programs that I would be interested in, and I came across one which happened to be a relatively short commute from my home. The major I was interested in was called Music Merchandising, which combined both my love of music and my interest in business and numbers. I applied to the university, Lewis, auditioned for my scholarships, and was accepted right away.

It has been about a year since I applied to and was accepted to Lewis. At this point, I am no longer a Music Merchandising major. I went through the same issue I had at my previous school – I was unsatisfied with the way things were going yet again. It became clear to me that I didn’t care about the workings of the music – I just wanted to perform. It looks as though music will always be my passion, but not my career. I have switched back to my Accounting major once again, and I couldn’t be happier. I’ve finally decided what I absolutely want to do with my life. Choosing this school and this program are some of the best decisions I’ve made so far in my life.

Math and numbers are obviously my calling. Music and singing aren’t a part of my career path anymore, but I will still be participating in community choirs to satisfy my craving to perform for others. As for my future, I don’t know exactly what I will be doing with the numbers and my accounting degree, but I know that whatever I do is meant to be.