Whitney - Maineville, Ohio

I believe that you should live each day like it was your last because; it could all be taken away in a second. We take each day for granted, and never scruple to think that each day is gift, given to us by the greatest gift giver. As a modern society, we do imagine that the life we take so lightly could be ripped away in a second. I used to follow these mindless intuitions of the masses, until my best friend was ripped away from me.

Matthew was seventeen years old. He was blond, athletic, handsome and intelligent. He played football for the local high school, and his senior year, the team went to the state playoffs. Everyone loved him and treated him like their best friend. We all thought that he would go to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he would play college football and then eventually graduate with a degree in architecture. The senior class was sure to vote Matt as most likely to be famous, but instead he was voted most memorable. Matthew didn’t make it to his senior prom, by that time he was gone. On February sixteenth, his life was ripped from his body during an Astronomy test. He had passed away from heart complications and pneumonia. I wasn’t there. I was nine hours away, in a little corner of southwestern Ohio. I didn’t even know he was gone until that evening when my parents sat me down on our couch and told me that his life had been extinguished. When I heard, I refused to believe that he was gone, and then I began to call my friends. Their heartbroken cries awakened me to the reality that this was not a joke. As I put the phone the phone down, I began crying and screaming incoherent words and expressions. My big brother, my best friend, my bodyguard was gone. I cried for days and days, and we even drove back home for the funeral. I took no comfort from this, how could I when my world had just changed forever?

Later, when I had time to think and reflect, even with the tears that streamed down like Niagara Falls, I though about why he had been taken away. He was only seventeen. Why would God want to hurt everyone by removing Matthew from this earth? What had Matt done that would make God want to take him away? Then it hit me, who was I to question God and his Grand Design? I came to the conclusion that we don’t know how long we have left to live, and we shouldn’t care. We should only live each day for each day and each moment. You never know when you have to leave this world, but you should remember to live laugh and love like tomorrow was an uncertainty. This I believe.