Connie - Belen, New Mexico

An Act of Obedience

I believe that God still speaks to his children. In this modern day of TV, internet, radio, cell phones and other things that keep me constantly distracted I forget to listen, but God speaks. I think that people ask the wrong question when they say: Does God still speak to people today? I think the better question would be: Are we willing to listen when he does speak? In our society we like to be the one that’s talking, but we seldom take the time to really listen.

I too am guilty of being to busy. Once I really did hear God speak to me. I know that with all of my heart. It was my junior year in high school. My uncle is a pastor and he was going to have a baptism service at our church. Well, I had never honestly thought about being baptized. I am a Christian, but for some reason I had never considered this next step. As soon as the announcement was made God began speaking to my heart. He whispered directly to my heart that this was my moment to be baptized. Even though he did not use an audible voice he still spoke.

Excitement coursed through my veins, but fear never entered the picture. I went to up to my uncle and I remember asking him, “Will you baptize me?” He said, “Yes.” God had never spoken to me before. The fact that I answered so quickly with obedience showed me just how confident I felt. I told my sister later that I just felt God speaking to me and this was what he wanted me to do. On that day I was baptized, but I refuse to tell anyone that my life has been perfect since that moment. That would be a flat out lie. I did not get baptized thinking this would be the answer to all of life’s problems. I did not do it so that people would look at me and think that I am a great person. No, the real reason I got baptized was an act of faith and obedience. I knew what God was asking of me in that moment and I willingly responded in obedience.

After all that happened I should be more than willing to listen, but it all comes down to the fact that I like to be busy. I also feel that God will get through to me if he really needs to. I think sometimes he calls me to listen, but I don’t want to. Maybe he should use a huge bullhorn to get my attention! No, I know how I am, that probably wouldn’t work either.