Karen - Westland, Michigan

This I Believe…

In the Treasures of a New Puppy…

I had not had a dog since I was in my teens (I am currently in my forties). I have always thought that since I have been on my own, I would not have time for such a demanding creature to care for. The feeding, the training…Who has time for all of that extra added responsibility? Then one day, as I do not know what come over me, I bought a puppy. My life had changed in that instant. I had forgotten all of the dreadful responsibilities I had feared. I was so excited, I started counting the ways that this little puppy would enhance my life – and enhance my life he did!

He is like a new child of mine. I gladly spend quality time with him, I protect him and he receives my unconditional love. He has become an important part of my family. All he (emotionally) asks of me is my attention and my approval. He lives for it (and he gets it). He is a “good boy”. He does not talk back, he forgives easily and he does not hold grudges. He does not judge me, nor will he ever leave me.

He has been therapeutic. When I have had a stressful day, he makes a calming difference. He has warmed an otherwise “empty” house. He is always happy to see me. When I am down, he comforts me with his companionship. After coming home from a hard day’s work and seeing the wagging tail and the bouncing body, so anxiously waiting to greet me is a real pick-me-up. He helps to make me feel wanted, by reminding me on a daily basis that I am special to him.

Of course, along with the glory involved with owning a pet, came the obvious responsibilities. He depends on me to feed him clean, quality food and make sure he has fresh water. I have to bathe him and get him groomed accordingly. I buy him toys to occupy his time when I cannot be there or when I do not feel like playing. I make sure that he exercises regularly. I take him for walks. I even buy him sweaters to keep him warm in the colder weather. I take him to the veterinarian for an examination and vaccinations. I teach him right from wrong. Now, normally, these would all fall in the “responsibilities” category, but they do not feel like responsibilities. I happily care for him. I look forward to helping him in any way that I can.

I have fallen in love with this “little guy” and I look forward to seeing him everyday. He has enhanced my life in so many ways. I strongly believe that the love and companionship that an animal can provide is priceless. I do not regret for one moment, the decision I have made to bring him into my home.