Julia - Joliet, Illinois

It was only a few weeks ago that I was sitting in my TV Production class, waiting for that day’s college newscast to begin. As I tampered with the audio switcher, turning the knobs back and forth, I questioned whether or not I actually enjoyed handling the equipment. After taking a number of communication classes in order to earn my degree in TV/Radio Broadcast, I began to wonder if this major actually suited my personal interests. Sure, I enjoyed the company of the students and teachers whom I was working with, but could I actually see myself becoming a future broadcaster? It was not until recently that it hit me; life is too short to work towards a career that I do not feel completely passionate towards. After realizing this notion, declaring my major became incredibly easy.

When I was a little girl, I would spend hours in deep contemplation imagining what I wanted to be when I grew up. Of course, I was an inexperienced child and quite indecisive; my career of choice shifted on a daily basis. Through out my adolescent years, I constantly changed my intended career because I had never been fully confident with my selection. Even as I began my freshmen year of college, I was hesitant towards taking major classes. I wondered how people know which career is the “right” career for them.

After realizing my personal interests, I was able to answer my own question – People choose the “right” career path by following their passions. I strongly believe that passion is what drives every single person’s decisions. From my own self-evaluation, I have found that I enjoy working with children and positively influencing the lives of others. By examining my core beliefs, I have discovered what motivates me; my compassion towards other humans, and my fascination with the innocence of children Now, I believe that I can work with confidence towards a future career in education. Although certain job positions offered in broadcasting have the potential of great pay, my opinion is that accumulating wealth and status does not outweigh unhappiness. It is important that I find excitement in my future career, and I believe that my effort will be evident in my work. For these reasons I have reached an understanding that to choose a career, and to truly love that career, is not difficult when a person realizes where their passions lie.