Laura - Las Cruces, New Mexico

Meant to Live for so Much More:

I believe that we are meant to live for so much more. This statement can probably be interpreted in many different ways, but I believe that one must search inside their own heart and soul to find out what I really mean by that. What is really left when I erase all the hype and busyness of my life? The diploma, the bachelor’s degree certificate that might be framed on my wall, the PHD I might earn someday: what worth does any of it have when I am dead and gone? I cannot deny the fact that when all the agendas and rush of my everyday life is pushed away and forgotten, that I would feel empty. I cannot deny the nagging presence that haunts, convincing me that there has to be more to this life.

There has to be more meaning in life for the high school sophomore who attempted suicide; more to life for the high school junior who continues to return to her jerk ex-boyfriend, who takes advantage of sleeping with her, because she does not believe that she is worth more than that; there has to be more meaning for the girl who feels trapped in her “family business” of drug-dealing with no freedom and no way out. Each of these girls is dear to my heart: friends that I hate to see hurting. It is even now, in the midst of these friends’ aches, pains, and burdens that a brief moment of peace and rest squeezes into my day. I look out the window of my car, classroom, house, or workplace. I believe that I have already found the best secret! We are meant to live for so much more! I do not wonder; I know. I know that my life is fulfilled in the love of Jesus Christ. My life is about God being bigger than any trials that I might face in life. He gives me peace in that. It compares to the feeling of bungee jumping: there is a huge fear of the unknown, yet confidence that the ropes are secure, and such a rush from the adventure. It is indescribable. I look out a window and know that nothing can bring me down. I have purpose. I have hope. I have the most fulfilling relationship that I could ever ask for. I know a personal God who says, “You, Laura, were meant to live for me, my precious daughter. Stop searching, I have found you. I love you.” My God assures me that I am worth so much and I was made to live that way. Yes! I believe in the love of my Savior.