keegan - cave creek, Arizona

I believe that family is forever. Family will always be there no matter what happens. Family will always love you and will love you for who you are. Life is rough and there are times that you feel no one is there for you, but just remember that family is forever.

I am coming to the end of my high school career, and it feels like life is just going to hit me in the face and there’s nothing I can do about it. It feels like I’m going to be just thrown into the world with no help or anyone to guide me, but this is not true. My relationship with my parents has become very close in these past 3 months and I have got the message that they will always be there for me. This has helped me to cope with my fears of the world, and has also given me a whole new outlook on the meaning of family. When you’re young, you are so naïve to how much your parents love you and how much they sacrifice for you. But when you are faced with leaving them, you realize what they have done for you. I also feel like there is nothing I can do to repay them and show them how grateful I am, but them I realized that they already know.

Two months ago I received two MICs (miner in consumption) in a span of two weeks and I was very afraid to tell my parents. I felt that it would be easier if I just took care of the whole mess myself, and never told my parents. Then I realized that I can’t hide this from them. I was sure that they would kick me out of the house. One night I told them and I was very surprised by their reaction. They didn’t get mad, they were more disappointed, but they were very supportive of me at the same time. Instead of just getting angry, they talked to me about the stupid choices that I made and explained things from their perspective, which made me look at things completely different then how I use to.

Life is hard and unforgiving, and it helps to have family behind you. I hope that I can do for my children what my parents have done for me. Love is the single greatest gift that you can give to a person, and parents do it better than anybody.