Danielle - Scottsdale, Arizona

Friends are a dime a dozen

True friends are those that will be beside you no matter what. A lot of people think that having a lot of friends is important, but that’s not what matters. What matters is having at least one true friend. A friend who will be there when you are grounded and will come waste her weekend away watching movies and eating junk food on your couch. I believe that having one true friend is more valuable then having 100 friends. I realized this one day when I was going through a tough time and didn’t ever want to leave my house I wasn’t attending school and slept all day and didn’t eat. I had one friend, Danielle, who came over everyday and sat at my house and smoked with me while we talked. Having her around helped me know that to her me being happy was more important to her than her social life. She helped me a lot and was the person who got me to start going back out again. If she had been like the rest of my “friends” then it may of took me longer to want to go back out and to be happy. Have you ever felt that you had a ton of friends but when a crisis hit there was only a handful of people there to help you get back on your feet again? It’s the people there that you want to keep close to you and not lose. I want others in my life as well I just know that when I need help who I can call and they will be there. I feel bad for those who have tons of friends but not any true friends because not having someone there for you when you are low is a very lonely feeling. Try not to ever ditch your true friends for those who are just there when you have something to do, true friends will always be there but you should not abuse it. I believe if you have true friends with you then you no matter what hole you find yourself in, there will be a way out with them to pull you out.

An important thing I think is that if someone is a true friend to you then you need to be a true friend to them as well. I was able to repay my friend one night when I had gone home early because I had work in the morning. Danielle has decided to stay out all night and go to parties. It was about four in the morning when I got a call from her saying she was too drunk to drive and no one she was with was sober. She was scared and freaking out and didn’t know what to do. By the time she had gotten her sentence finished I was out the door and in my car heading to give her a ride home. She knew I wasn’t allowed to leave the house for any reason past 1a.m. I did get caught and in trouble but once again she stayed with me while I had to sit at home, bored. I could of went and told my dad and he would of picked her up but I was worried if I took to long she would give up and get in the car with someone drunk behind the wheel.

When you look back at your life, the adventures you had with your true friends will stand out more then the ones you had with just the friends who were there when it was convenient to them. Always cherish those who won’t go away even when you want them too.