Kacie - Scottsdale, Arizona

“A true friend won’t question your motives, will hug you just because they can sense that you need it, will never fall for your famous false smile that fools everyone else, will let you listen to your favorite song over and over in the car even when they don’t like the song, will tell you the truth even when you’d rather not hear it, and will never leave your side, in good times or in bad ones.” Now don’t tell me you think you find people that are that special to your life everyday. I believe that true friendship is the key to getting through life. Without it we would be lost in a world of emotions and left without support to guide us through it all.

Senior year has been a crazy one for me; from break ups, to completely changing who I hang out with. It became clear to me through these experiences who my true friends were, and who the people in my life were that were just there to hang out with, party with, and just have fun. One time hit me harder than any other, and made me open my eyes to what it’s really like to have a true friend.

I was sitting in my car in the parking lot outside of Target when everything that had been going on hit me like a ton of bricks. I was having a complete break down. I had just broken up with my boyfriend of over 2 years, I had been going through rough times with the people who I thought were my best friends, and life had finally caught up with me. The reality of everything that was going on hit me, and I felt like I had no one. The empty feeling in my stomach and heart took over and it felt like there was no escape. The rush had consumed my body, adrenalin running through my veins. I couldn’t hold it back anymore and the tears poured out like a waterfall. Allison, who I now call my best friend, had come to meet up me to talk. I needed a little bit to just vent and get everything off my chest, and she ended up calming me down and helping me through this emotional breakdown that came out of nowhere. She gave me some of the best advice anyone has ever given to me. “Sometimes you need to take a second and look at the whole situation, not just what is happening at the moment. You have to realize that things, and people, are going to change and there is NOTHING you can do to stop it. You can’t take back the things that have happened lately. Yeah it may suck right now, but there’s a reason for everything that’s going on, and you’re going to be such a stronger, better person when you get through all of this. I’ll be by your side to help you when you don’t think you can make it anymore because I know you’re better than all of this. I know you can do this, just keep your head up and stay strong.” It was that moment that I realized the value of having a true friend; someone who actually cared to take their time to help you because you were in need. It’s those few people that will take time out of there day to listen and talk to you, even though there may be so many other things they need to do. Those are the friends you don’t’ find very often.

From that day forward when I broke down or thought I couldn’t go on any longer, she was right by my side ready to pick me back up and help me to keep moving forward. If it wasn’t for her I wouldn’t be where I am today. I wouldn’t have been able to get the courage to start over and move on with my life. She helped me learn so much over the past few months, and let go of my past. It was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do, and I believe that her true friendship is what helped me get through it all. It’s something everyone should value in their lives. Who else is going to be your wings to help you fly when you no longer think you can?