Macy - Scottsdale, Arizona

The Gift of Life

A Chinese Proverb says, “The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on water, but to walk on the earth.” I believe that the gift of life is overlooked too often. Life is everyone’s most precious gift not only in a religious sense. And not until one is older does it come into perspective. That’s what happened to me.

When I was 8 years old my mom said to me, “Macy, I’m going to have a baby!” Nine months later, my little brother was born. It was an amazing experience for me. That little baby, on the other side of the glass, came from my mom. She chose to give him his life. It’s been so fun watching him grow up. I remember Noah’s first words and when he started walking and his first day of school! But before all that, my family went on a ski vacation. We were in Idaho in a cabin on top of a mountain. My mom was in the shower with Noah when she yelled for my step dad. Noah had a seizure had was now unconscious. I will never forget the way Noah looked. He was a shade of blue I had never seen. How can skin turn that color? I was sent down stairs when all the medics came in. Half an hour later it was silent in the cabin. Noah and my parents were at the Hospital with Noah. I hoped to see my brother again.

There is no better way to wake up in the morning then to the sound of your younger brother laughing. When I had gone to bed the night before, I wasn’t sure if I would ever see Noah again. That was one of the greatest sounds I have ever heard.

Then on my 13th birthday, I had another experience that changed my view on life. My sister approached me at school and said, “Yesterday, Tommy died.” I didn’t believe her. “Tommy? Tommy Gould?” I asked. Just the day before he decided that his life wasn’t good enough. He didn’t want to life anymore. And so he hung himself. Right there in his garage. He was a very close friend to me, my sister, my mom and step-dad. My little brother wanted a skateboard after watching Tommy practice his tricks outside. But Tommy didn’t think about that before he decided to put an end to it all. My sister and I missed the next few days of school. I spent a lot of time thinking about life. Eventually I came to the conclusion that life is the best thing ever given to me. Taking my own life would only be the most selfish thing I could do. I was angry at Tommy for awhile. How could he do this to us? As the weeks passed I got better. The funeral was what I needed to really plant the thought in my head. From then on I have tried to be kind to myself and to my mother. After all, she had decided that I was worthy of my life and decided to give it to me.

There have many events in my life that have made me realize how special my life is. Not everyone may have these experiences though. However, it is important that everyone value their life and try to make the best of it. This I believe.