Sara - Cave Creek, Arizona
Themes: death, fear

The Fear of Death Itself

I believe we should live each day as if it was our last. On November 4, 2004, my family’s world was changed forever. This day is as vivid to me as looking at myself in the mirror. It was second period, math with Miss Kohl. We were taking a test and in the middle of my test I was told that my Mom was waiting for me in the office. I found this to be very odd because my Mom never shows up unannounced. As I walked outside, she was standing there before the door waiting for me. Her eyes were red from crying, mascara running down her face and a tissue in her hand. The first thing I thought was, “Oh my god, what happened to Dad!” She Came towards me and said, “Amanda is dead.” My mouth dropped like I was about to say something but nothing came out. My Mom grabbed a hold of me but I was not able to hold her back. Amanda Nicole Hernandez is my cousin. On November 4th, early in the morning, Amanda left her house for LA. She was planning on meeting up with her friends and staying the night there. As she entered onto the freeway, she hit the curb of the on ramp and lost control of her car. Her car flipped and landed upside down on the freeway. Before she was able to get a chance to understand what had just happened, a semi truck hit her and she was killed instantly. She was only 19.

After Amanda passed away, I remember fearing for the worst in everything that I did. It was hard for me to accept the fact that, in time, our family, friends, and people that we have never met before will soon pass away. Is there anyone in this world who truly knows what happens to our bodies, spiritually, after we die? Is there an afterlife? So many people are plagued with the horrifying fear of death, and thus, we miss out of life itself. We are not able to change what will happen to us after we die, but we are able to change how long we live on this earth. Let people remember you for the things you have done and the things you have accomplished, that way you are able to live eternally with them.

It is easy to fear death. We walk out the door everyday not knowing what the world is going to hand us. Yet, if you knew that at the end of the day, someone or something was going to take your life, would you want to know this, so that you are able to choose whether or not you want to walk out that door?