Olivia (Ollie) - Cave Creek, Arizona

Show Your True Colors

When was the last time somebody made you laugh so much that you actually snorted? Or they knew that you were having a bad day, and took advantage of their humor, and made you laugh, anyway? Or it could go both ways; you could be the humorous one, the one that makes your friend laugh, no matter what.

My best friend since about eighth grade and I have exactly that kind of relationship. We are constantly making each other laugh, or making each other feel better during a bad day.

But it wasn’t always this way. For about two weeks, we were fighting like cats and dogs. We were no longer making each other laugh until we snorted, or making each other feel better during our bad days, because we were the reason for each others bad days.

I absolutely hated it. I hated knowing that everyday I came to school, my best friend wouldn’t be there to make me laugh, or to take me out of my two week slump. Not having many other friends besides her, it was especially hard to come to school, because I would talk to virtually nobody else. I would simply come to school, silently doing my work, being careful not to look at anybody, for fear that they knew my problem, and were talking about it behind my back.

Eventually, it got better. We were able to get over ourselves long enough to listen to whatever the other person had to say, and tried to understand her side. We are back to making each other laugh until we snort, and making each others days a little better.

I don’t think that it’s very healthy for people to bottle up their feelings like I had for all that time. I had made myself sick both physically and mentally over it, and my self esteem is still paying the price for it. Don’t do what I did. Talk about your problems to whoever is making you feel uncomfortable with yourself. It’s not healthy to make yourself feel “hated” or “undesirable” to others. This I believe.