Susana - Chicago, Illinois

It Can Wait

People say that everyone has a significant other, a soul mate. They do not know who that person is or when they will meet. All they know is that from that encounter on there will be much happiness. The only problem is that everyone looks for this happiness in a hurry. Most people do it because they are scared of being alone the rest of their lives. Still, other people look for their significant other because they feel that they might be left in the shadow of happiness of others. In the process, they find the wrong people and go through to many at a time in a rush to find that one person that you can spend the rest of your life with. This is why I believe that there is no rush to find that one person.

I met Ricardo one night at a meeting we had for work. We got together so quickly that it felt like I met him one day and the next we were already dating. A week or two later I met his parents. The thought that maybe things were going too fast flashed through my mind, but I paid no attention to it. It was nice knowing that I had someone there by my side and that he cared for me as much or even more than I cared for him. We spent much time together because we worked for the same company, and I had gotten transferred over to the workplace by his house. We had only been together for a couple of months, and he had already started talking about moving in together. I liked the idea at first but then I refused because I knew I was going to start my first semester in college soon. A month later he began talking about marriage and kids. This was when I knew the relationship had to slow down. I told him that I was not ready to consider any of it; I was too young and so was he. I had my life ahead of me. I wanted to finish college and travel around the world. I wanted to play my Friday night soccer games that I had been neglecting. He soon started becoming very clingy and wanted more attention than I could give. The unhealthy relationship had to end. And it did. In my mind there was, and is, more to life than just becoming a house wife. I knew and felt in my heart that there was still much more ahead of me- my education, career, my want to travel.

Now I am much happier. I am more concentrated on my goals and what I have to do to achieve them. I do not have to worry about answering a call and having someone complaining about me being to busy for them. I do what I want when I want to. I live my life at my pace and take in everything as it comes at me.