Brittany - Albuquerque, New Mexico
Themes: family, setbacks

Life Always Comes Back

I believe that no matter what happens everything will be ok; things will always turn out as they should.

Watching my mother make mistakes and continue on after them has led me to believe that everything is going to be alright. It has given me the gift of not stressing the hardships that may come my way, but instead thinking of them as only small tasks. Through school, work, bills, and life I haven’t let much get to me; I know that everything will work out for the better.

My mother and I moved out of our home that we shared with my three younger brothers and step-dad in April of 2005. The year that followed was the hardest year we had to endure. We moved in and out of friends’ homes a few times before we had our own, which we rented from a friend. My mother had to work twice as hard to save money while supporting me being a student. It seemed that when one thing went wrong, five more disasters occurred. It soon became a joke between us; instead of asking “how was your day”, it was “so what happened to you today? I can’t wait to tell you what happened to me.”

That Christmas my mom met a wonderful man who has given her the love that she has always deserved. I have never seen her glow, or even knew that she had that ability, but she glows; it’s quite amazing. I knew that her life was becoming a little brighter and there was nothing more that I could’ve asked for.

The following spring everything seemed to be piling up and once again we had to find somewhere else to live. It became too much for me. I was given the opportunity to get away and spend the summer in Hawaii; I took it without hesitation. It was just the escape I needed, for when I returned my mother and I no longer had our joke. Her wonderful boyfriend let her move in with him and a close friend of ours let me move in with her till I had my own place. I found my own place and everything started to go up from there. Life has been treating me and my mother quite well and I’m sure it will just continue to get better.

I once heard that how you climb up the mountain is just as important as how you get down the mountain. For many of us, life becomes one big, gigantic test followed by one big, gigantic lesson. In the end it all comes down to how you accept the mountains, hills, speed bumps, what have you; winning and losing, good luck and bad luck, the darkness and the light. Life always comes back to us even through the longest, darkest expedition we may attend.