Pooja - Stafford, Texas

The Side Effects of Arrange Marriage

Arrange marriage is a huge part of some cultures around the world. Especially the Indian culture. I, being an Indian, believe that a person should have the right to choose who they want to marry. Most women in India are forced into arrange marriages. People should not have to marry someone they hardly know. Even though people get to know each other after they have accepted the proposal, I believe that they can not get to truly know each other until they have spend a lot of time together. Arrange marriages can be defined as bringing two complete strangers in the bonds of holy matrimony.

At times arrange marriages are held in such a way that the couple does not even get to know each other before they get married. I believe that by engaging in an arranged marriage people lose the ability to find love. Arrange marriage forces two people to love each other or be miserable for the rest of their life. This also violates a person’s freedom to chose who he or she wants to marry. However, there have been cases where people fall in love after they have been arranged, but the chances of that are very slim.

I believe that most people who are arranged end up unhappy and resenting each other. For instance, my aunt chose to engage in an arrange marriage when she was about twenty-two years old. She was happy during the first couple of years of her married life, but soon she began to notice that her and her husband were not at all compatible. After my aunt had a son, things got even worse because her and her husband constantly disagreed on how to raise their child. These were some of the conflicts that came up because they did not get to know each other before they got married. The only reason they are still married to this day is because they do not want to put their child through a messy divorce.

Even though most couples that want to engage in arrange marriage have the opportunity of getting to know each other, the marriage still does not work out for the most part. Sometimes people say yes to arrange marriage and then get to know their partner. I believe that this short amount of time is not enough to get to know someone especially someone who you have to spend the rest of your life with.

I believe that people should have the right to marry the person of their dreams and not be forced into arrange marriage. Even though some people chose arrange marriage, I believe that they are unsuccessful and end up in bitter divorces and resentments. People should be able to decide who they want to marry and they should marry someone out of love not due to force.