Reena - Sugar Land, Texas

In The Mirror

In the beginning when mirrors did not exist everyone did not see their true image of themselves, but saw each other in the same eyes that god saw us. Equality lied in each person’s mind until the mirror was invented. A person would then see who they are and be obsessed with themselves. This I believe was the start of a materialistic world which led to judgment and racism.

Mirrors are what caused a person to only think of themselves and only want to yearn to make them more powerful or more beautiful. It was what led people to want to be better than others around them. Everything was then based solemnly on competition, of who is better than who. As years passed by, people started to judge others due to their outer features and not treat each other as humans but like objects. Such instances occurred where the white and wealthy people considered themselves higher in class than colored people. One would think this racism would end but it still occurs in our every day life.

At school there are still clicks where people are around people more of their race. Yet we consider our school a very diverse school. Diverse means a joint of cultures together, when actually we are not diverse in other people’s culture but only diverse in our own. An example of this is just a normal day walking through the halls. I see people crowded around the halls mostly around their race. The race usually stands in place and talks amongst themselves and would not move an inch for others to pass through. If one is in their way, they would tell a person to move in a rude form of language or look at the person in a vulgar way. These people think they are better than the others because of what they see in their mirror. They feel superior over others around them. This is what I see every day happen in the halls. All I can do is listen to a person and move out of their way because I feel just because I am not the same race I would have to put their needs before mine.

In society we can never stop this racism or gender discrimination even if the government says so. Everyone sees themselves in the mirror as someone they only want to see more of. Either in success of more powerful than the others they see below. We should not judge others from their image we see them as through the mirror but try to see through the mirror and see who they really are inside and out. One should not feel inferior because of their skin color or what their gender is but try to feel equal. If the world today was based on equality violence would not occur and we would all feel at peace.