Adam - Denver, Colorado

Full of Simcha

There are always simple events in life that, suddenly, become a bracha.

It all began on a regular afternoon, in a regular class, in my regular mood. I had tried to crack a joke, yet it quickly turned against me. I made another mistake, and it turned against me as well.

Then someone called me a moron.

Had the situation ended another way, I would have been offended, frustrated, and quite irate. You may not think this would be a big deal at all (neither did I, at the time) until later in the afternoon when I talked to the person again.

I recieved an apology.

During the adolescent stage, it seems that teenagers, especially boys, cannot accurately convey an apology nor accept it well. To everyone else, I always seemed a little harsh – but did I have a problem with that? No! It seemed that, for the first time, I was truly able to say to myself that I had understood an apology. And it felt amazing.

But it was more than that.

I had recognized that even though he had called me a moron, he had immediately proved himself worthy of esteem and respect. He showed me that he was enough of a mensch to recognize that he had made a mistake but still could reconcile it to make things better.

But, it seemed that once this event had occurred, I thought I was going crazy. I said to myself, “What are you doing, you moisheh kapoyer? He called you a moron, gedainkst?” I might have been right, but I was still going through my Yiddish phase, so I was apikoros. I realized that just because someone has done something wrong, they always deserve a second chance, and, since most people are good-hearted and hamischot, they usually earn it back.

It happened to me again a few weeks later. Someone else, this time a balmalocha teacher, was in a dreadful mood and needed my problems like a loch in kup, was talking about how they were this and I was that and blah blah blah blah blah… I was feh, she was feh. Feh. But, the teacher talked to me a week later, and she explained how she was feeling, then I explained how I was feeling, and now we get along so well we could be put under a chupah. But, I digress.

This I believe – even if someone does something wrong, give them a second chance, and your world will be full of simchas. It seems that when you give someone a second chance, they impress you every time, especially when you don’t expect it. So, give it a try! Extension on an English paper? Sure! Another ten bucks? Why not! Ending this essay without a Yiddish word? Umiglech!