Daniel - Channahon, Illinois

I Want to be Average

What do you hope to accomplish in your future? Do you want a large home in suburbia with a shiny new Lexus in the garage? Do you want to vacation in one of your several houses or condominiums spread throughout the country? As nice as such a life sounds, what would it take to achieve such a standard of living? Hard work and dedication would be the focus of your life, and you would spend your entire existence in pursuit of further wealth. So if the aforementioned life sounds ideal to you, just think, is it really worth it?

I believe that there is nothing wrong with being average. An average life sounds so uninspiring or may even be depressing to some who wanted to be more, but it is exactly what I want. I came to this realization when I decided that I want to be a high school math teacher, a career that one would be foolish to expect a wealthy lifestyle with. Everyone has been sure to point this out as well. “You know that teachers don’t make that much money, right?” “Don’t you want to do something that will make more money?” Almost every reaction to my decided career is succeeded by a comment on the money that I won’t be making. Only my grandfather really accepted the choice as a good one, seeing as his father was a teacher. He told me how his dad made a good living and it was a solid career, which is just what I want. I don’t care if being a high school teacher will make a lot of money or not, that’s not what I’m looking for in life. This is simply the career that I’ve decided I would be happiest with, and I’m fine with the lifestyle it will accommodate.

When I finish up with college, I want to make a modest living to support my middle class family living in an average suburban neighborhood. If I spend my life always chasing high goals, I know that I will never be happy. Spending every waking hour in an office trying to work my way up, struggling to manage a business, or whatever it would take to lead a wealthy life would simply not be worth it to me. Spending a lifetime chasing fortune is simply not what I want. I know what I want to do and I’m fine with what I’ll be. I’m just fine with being average.