Andrea - El Paso, Texas

Dancing is Life

I believe that dancing is the best way to manage any problem you might encounter, whether it is simple or complex. Dancing is a great feeling of satisfaction and gratification. When one places their feet on the dance floor, a feeling of confidence and empowerment is established. Dancing can aid in washing out painful memories that one might have experienced. I know this because I hold the evidence.

When I dance, I feel relieved, as if an immense weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I feel free and nothing can refrain or interrupt the euphoric sensations. As the serenity of the music is whispered into my ears, it calms and soothes my soul. Anything that has ever troubled my in the past, is lost and forgotten as soon as I wrap my feet in tape, slip on my pink, satin slippers, and let my toes gracefully touch the wooden floors of the mirrored room.

Since I was young, attending ballet classes was the ice cream of the day. I have never enjoyed such contentment that ballet had brought into my life. I was passionately devoted to expressing myself through dancing. I was always delighted to hear my name called out to perform the main role in the next recital. I loved to be on stage to demonstrate my dexterity and grace and perform in front of an audience.

I never knew that dancing ballet would help ease the pain of my parents’ divorce. Dancing helped keep my mind off of the desolation I had to experience every day after I came home from school. Although, I knew that the day would eventually arrive, I still anticipated that all would recuperate and recover but it didn’t. My visions of having the perfect family; as I saw what my friends possessed, soon shattered into pieces causing emotions of despondency. I never thought that anything would rectify the adversity I had to undergo. My anger and pessimistic ideas were released as I daintily spread across the room. Dancing is what uplifted my spirits and gave my hope of being happy and made me realize that sometimes things don’t as you planned or hoped for them. I had to disregard my selfishness and understand that my parents were happier with their newly made decision. I depended on my pink, satin slippers for my remedy and sanctuary.