Eric - Ventura, California
Themes: family, love

The Power of a Family

When Mr. Dinkler asked us to write an essay on what we believe I figured ok this will be easy. No problem. But then my life started getting a little crazy and confusing beginning probably the worst week of my life. It started with my cousin leaving for the Air Force. About a week later my aunt was put into a convalescent home, cancer had taken over her body and she was becoming extremely weak causing her body to begin to shut down. Then last week things ended up not really working out with the girl I liked. And now just this past weekend my aunt passed away. However, through all of this I came to realize one thing, how important family is to me.

My family has always been close and I’m sure they always will be. We use any and every excuse to get together or to have a party. I find it amazing how even through arguments and struggles with other family members; everyone always comes through during a tough time. The best example I can think of is happening right now, as I read this essay to you. In fact it has been happening since last week. My Aunt Josie, who is more like a grandmother to me than anything, spoiled me every chance she got, made my favorite foods whenever I went over, and all of the other little things she did to show her love, not only to me but everybody around her. She always tried to please everybody and loved doing it. Her last days and nights were spent surrounded by friends and family. People from all over who came to visit her and show their support. Even my Uncle Rick, the Houdini of the family, because you never know when he will show up, went to visit her.

The day my Aunt passed away everybody in the family was calling and consoling each other. The family was there ready to pick up the pieces and do what needed to be done, such as arranging the funeral and reception. This continued throughout the next day. My mom and I went to my Uncle Jess’s house to meet my Tia Mar to pick out clothes for my aunt and help get things together. Once again the family was there to comfort and console each other, especially my Uncle Jess, through the crying and grieving we were still able to joke and reminisce about memories of her to help lighten the mood. All through out the day family and friends were calling to see what they could do to help, offering their time and effort for whatever was needed. Everybody wanted to help celebrate the life, love, and friendship of my Aunt Josie.

I have the most supportive family anyone could ever ask for. They have disciplined me when I needed it, celebrated me when I earned it, and have poked fun at me when I deserved it. Yes, times have come and gone and things have changed, but the one thing that has always been a constant in my life has been and always will be, my family. I believe in the power and love of a family.