Jonathan - Ventura, California

There Can Be Miracles

Miracle. What is a miracle? Some people think they are unnatural occurrences. Some think they are phony. Yet some believe they are the works of a higher being or God. Do you believe in miracles? I believe that miracles are real. I believe that there is a God who displays his power using miracles. Personally, I have witnessed a miracle or two.

The first miracle I have seen came upon a man named Ken Drake. Ken is a man of great faith. He has uprooted his family several times simply because God simply told him to. His recent uprooting has landed him in Hawaii, but that is a story for another time. Ken had a medical condition that caused him severe pain in his feet. He got to the point where he could not walk, and he had to sleep standing up. Which I don’t get very well, but doctors everywhere were confused and had no idea what it was or what to do. Being a man of faith, and raising a family of faith, he prayed. Time passed and he ended up in a wheelchair. My parents took him to lunch one day, and Ken was being wheeled around be his wife. My parents saw a smile on Kens face even in such misery and anguish. Later that day a group of pastors from Guatemala came to see Ken and pray over him. My parents were not with Ken at the time. Later, my dad received a call from Ken; this was after the pastors prayed over him. Ken told my dad to hurry over to his house. As Ken opened the door, he was dancing. A few hours before, he was confined to a wheelchair. Now he was dancing away as though his soul was on fire. He received a miracle. Do you believe in miracles?

If you still don’t believe, let me tell you what happened to my brother. My dad was called to move here to the great city of Ventura. During the move I was at a cross-country meet in another city and didn’t have to help us move. Some people from both the church my dad was leaving and from the church where my dad was to pastor, were helping us move. They were almost finished loading the big eighteen-wheeler truck, and my brother was at the very top. He is small and could fit in the space that was only a few square feet. A lady took a picture of him up there and a few seconds later, he fell. The trip down was about ten to fifteen feet. He was rushed to the hospital and the doctor took one look at his badly mutilated arm and called for the surgeon to come in. All this was happening while I was in another city, so I did not get a chance to see his condition, but of what I heard after it was as though his arm was beaten with a pipe until it bled. He was taken in for x-rays to see where the breaks were. My mom, weeping and praying, begged God why this happened right now, during the move. All anyone could do was pray. God must have heard us because when the x-rays came in, the doctor said, “I don’t understand. There isn’t a break, or fracture, or anything. I’ve seen cases like this with severe fractures, and there’s nothing there but a bruise.” My brother was healed that day before a hospital of doctors, nurses, and patients. So let me ask you again, do you believe in miracles?

A miracle does not have to be as dramatic as what I’ve shared. It could be a random person saying hi to you when you need it most. It could be getting all the homework your teachers assign, done on time. It could be anything, it just has to make you sit back and wonder, “How did that happen to me?” And sometimes, you just need to BE that miracle, because miracles are real; whether you like it or not.