Christine - sugarland, Texas
Themes: death, family, purpose

I believe that everything happens for a reason. No matter how unfair we think what happens to us is, it is really something that can help you grow. I believe that, God has a purpose and plan for everything and everyone. He does not inflict pain on us on purpose; instead it is to help make us stronger.

In October of 1996, I received news that would change my life forever. In the middle of the night my house phone rang and my father answered it. I knew something was wrong because nobody every called late at night unless it was an emergency. With fear instilled in my heart, I slowly walked to my parent’s bedroom to find out what was happening. When I walked in, the look on my parents’ faces indicated that something went wrong. I ran to my mother and asked her what was wrong. She looked at me and then at my little brother, who was fast asleep in his crib. She took me by the hand and led me to my room. I sat on my mother’s lap and prepared myself to hear the news. She held on to my hand very tightly, as if what she was about to tell me would hurt her more than it would hurt me. I braced myself and then the words came out of her mouth. They came out slowly, but surely. My mother said, “Your grandpa has passed away.” At first I was in disbelief. There were so many questions running through my mind. Where? How? Why? I was very close to my grandfather so hearing this news was almost unbearable for me. I did not know how to handle it. Days passed and I began to question God. I did not understand why this happened to me. My grandfather didn’t deserve to leave. Repeatedly, I questioned God.

One day my mother walked in and said, “Do you think your grandpa wants to see

you this sad?” I ignored my mother, but a few days later that question popped in my head again. I knew that he would not want to see me in that state of mind. Slowly, I began to come to the realization that his death might have happened for a reason. His death taught me that life was short and that I should cherish every moment of it. I believe that my grandfather is still with me. I believe that everything happens for a reason.