Hadya - El Paso, Texas

I believe in the Hindu law of cause and effect. When you make an action, it will cause a reaction. We often use the phrase “what goes around comes around.” Some of us were taught this “lesson of life” at a very young age. We were told to treat others the way we wanted to be treated.

If you treat others unfairly and poorly, you will get your dose of medicine in return. But, if you interact with others in a positive, respectful, and honorable way, the cards will be in your favor. Karma is seen in the Hindu religion, and people in the United States as well as European countries do not really believe or honor this “rule” and it is very sad to see. People that are involved in more spiritual religions can see why this is vital to living a healthy life. Even though I am not particularly religious, I strongly agree. I believe you lead a happy and healthy life if you treat others with fairly, it does not matter if someone is being rude to you, your anger should not be taken out on someone else.

When I was thirteen years old, my parents divorced due to infidelity on my father’s part. I have an older brother and a younger sister, at that time, I thought I was the weakest one out of the three. I thought I was going to be depressed and start doing poorly in school as well as in my life. Instead of being negative and show hate towards my father, I kept myself busy and tried to patch up my relationship with him. It difficult for me not to be angry with him, but I tried my best to leave it behind me. As years went by, I often heard negative things about the lifestyle my father lead. I made sure to tell people not to get me involved into his “personal life.” I am so happy I did because I look at all the hurt my mother has been through, and I‘m glad I played the ignorance is bliss role. If I would have heard about his second life, I wouldn’t be where I am today in college and leading a fulfilling life.

I believe each person can in some way choose their path in life. If you choose to be bitter and angry towards the world because you haven’t had the greatest luck in the past, the result will only be a vicious cycle. I believe everything happens for a reason even though you may not understand it, sooner or later you will find out. If an event happens, even if it may be negative, it leads you to something else, which could be something amazing. Try to make the best of a situation and look for a positive outcome. Just because things are not going your way, that does not mean they will remain this way, it is up to you to change something about that.