kendall - medinah, Illinois

“I believe driver’s need to realize the importance of life or death when it comes to drunk driving”

A primary dilemma in my life was when my friend Brad chose to drink and drive under the influence of alcohol. Alcohol is a very hazardous substance and many people neglect the idea that they can actually hurt someone or hurt themselves while drinking and driving. People today do not comprehend the horrific tragedies that caused by drivers who drive while intoxicated. My friend Brad has made me realize how much drinking and driving effects people through my friend Brad. His accident was a very devastating event with almost fatal injuries. Brads family ended up paying tremendous amounts in hospital bills, car repairs, and property and legal fees

In November 2006 Brad made a detrimental mistake, he decided to drive drunk in Brookdale on Manchester and Fox Hill after drinking at his friend’s home in Naperville. His accident was a very detrimental event with almost fatal injuries. He ended up sliding out of control on the slippery road and collided into a small tree. Brad was left unconscious. Luckily, for him a bystander was of assistance. The bystander was able to call for an ambulance and get him the treatment he so desperately needed. Without that “angel,” Brad would have died on the scene. He ended up having to go into the emergency room and have several surgeries. He was in a coma and doctors were unsure on when he would or if he would wake up. I really thought I was going to lose someone close to me. Family and friends came in to pray and to beg him to wake up but he did not. Fortunately, three weeks later Brad woke up but was in immense amounts of pain. He needed to stay in the hospital for several weeks after the incident and needed to continue physical therapy to heal him. Brad’s doctors continued to say that he would never be able to walk normal again but he did. Unfortunately though, he faces struggles everyday and all because he made the stupid decision to drink and drive.

When people go out to have fun and party the initial reaction or thought should be about designating a person(s) to be the sober driver for the evening. People need to realize all the consequences, especially the main one being death. Brad might have healed from his physical injuries, but the emotional scars remain. Just like other drunk drivers, Brad needs to live with the fateful decision to drink and drive. The cost to drink and drive is tremendous. It leads to hospital bills, car repairs, legal action, and can cost someone a life. Next time you think about drinking and driving, I hope my friend Brad’s story pops in your mind. Saving lives from drunk driving starts with you.

Works Cited

Elder RW, Schults RA, Sleet DA, Nichols JL, Zaza S, Thompson. Effectiveness of Sobriety Checkpoints for reducing alcohol-involved crashes. Traffic Injury Prevention 2002, 3: 266-74

Morse, Kenny. State Law Facts DUI/DWI Laws, Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. http://www.Mrtraffic.com/dui.htm

Blincoe L, Seay A, Zaloshnja E, Miller T, Romano E, Lucther S, et al. The Economic impact of Motor Vehicle Crashes, 2000. Wahington (DC): Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration 2002. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/economic/econimpact2000/index.htm