Keith - Stafford, Texas

What is school? School is but a place where students do not and are not able to exercise their creativity potentials. Those who point out the use of creativity in school are only viewing at the top layer of the complex system of learning and the determination to succeed. Many may argue that creativity is vastly apparent in school, but to me, those who possess the potential to become celebrated by many, too often, become victims of bad grades. Everyone has made bad grades at one point in their life, but their success does not end there. I believe that the success of a person does not depend on how well one does in school but rather on the will and perseverance of a person to succeed.

Before the famous poet, e. e. cummings, who wrote all his poems in lower-case, writing poems in such a creative manner was looked down upon as an elementary form of literature. Though creative in his form of writing poems, this now celebrated author would most likely have done poorly in school for not capitalizing his works. Such rules as simple as capitalizing words have already limited one’s ability to succeed in school, but cummings defied this generalization of “failure in school means failure in the future” by becoming an author well known for his unique works of failure. If such a simple rule can restrict one’s creativity, then how many other restrictions are there due to other rules alike?

One may not do well in school, such as those who excel in sports, but these athletes are still able to succeed through their hard work and determination. If they may still succeed and become successful in their careers, why must the competition for a higher rank in school decide whether or not one goes into a good college or get a well paying job? In today’s society, popular belief consists of the people who say that without “good grades” you will become poor and be at the mercy of a less desired life or lifestyle. Grades are only numbers and statistics. Grades cannot decide how rich you will become. Grades will not guarantee success. If grades cannot guarantee success, why should one believe in such tales?

As long as one is willing to press on, even in the tough face or adversity, the chances to succeed can relate to one who has done well in school. Willpower and determination together are far greater than the highest honor in school. Without these components to success, one might as well sit down and wait for money to fall from the sky! Why deprive someone of their hopes to succeed based on their schoolwork? What good will grades do if one does not work towards one’s goal? School, therefore, is a place none other than an environment used for the sole purpose of enriching one’s knowledge as opposed to a mandatory stairway towards a successful future.