Amanda - USA

“This I Believe”

I believe that grudges are waste of perfect happiness, we should all live like there is no tomorrow, and obstacles are put in our way to see if we really want something, or if we just thought we did. When we hold grudges against others, we are allowing them to control our emotions, causing us to be mad and changing our whole frame of mind. Why allow other people’s mistakes ruin our contentment and spoil our good moods? Although forgiving can be one of the hardest things to do, we gain so much by doing so. A close friendship can be completely destroyed by holding grudges; therefore, we should definitely just be mature and forgive and forget. Life is too short to be anything but happy.

I believe that we should live like there is no tomorrow because we never know if there will be a tomorrow. Everyday should be filled with nothing but positivism and optimistic outlooks on life. Most of us take life for granted because we automatically think that we are too young to die and that it would never happen to us, but it can happen to anyone at anytime. Although it’s sad to say, it often takes a loss of a loved one, especially a young one, to even realize and think about how that could happen to us. After realizing this, we then take action to change our lifestyles. After my friend died in a car accident, I now make sure that I put my seatbelt on every time I get into a car, including just down the street since it was something that I didn’t always do, and I make sure to drive a lot more cautiously. But my friend passing away from being in a car accident is what it took for me to do those things because I realized that it could’ve been me laying in the casket. Life is too precious to just take for granted; therefore, we should live like there is not tomorrow just in case it doesn’t come.

Last but certainly not least, I believe that obstacles are put in our way to see if we really want something, or if we just thought we did. There is no reason why we can’t and don’t overcome hardships if we truly and honestly want something. If you don’t get what you want, whatever you wanted simply wasn’t important enough or wasn’t really wanted at all because if it were, you’d have it. Many people make up excuses for why they don’t have something that they really want when in reality, it all comes down to whatever they really think they want they don’t. For example, someone not being able to buy a fancy car because they can’t afford it, but why can’t they afford it? In the end, it all comes down to them not having a good paying job because of not having a college degree, but anyone who is capable of working is capable of going to college. Right now, I’m taking eighteen credit hours and also working a part-time job, but I really want my degree and I really want to have the career of my choice; therefore, I have to overcome some obstacles in order to get it. Nothing comes free, but a lot of people like to hope so but taking the easy route. Anyone who really wants something that is possible to get will get it regardless of any difficulty in their way. As long as you have a positive attitude and strong faith along the way and you never settle for anything other than the best, there should be no excuse for not achieving your goals and getting what you sincerely want in life.