Edward - laveen, Arizona

Things I believe are not what most people believe in. Sometimes people don’t understand me, and some think I’m crazy, or strange, and a few think I’m scary. This is one thing I believe strongly in. I believe that as human beings we have a strong responsibility to children, all children, to bring them up right and safe. I see children being used and abused all over the world in different ways. It breaks my heart to see all the injustice that is being done to them. Adults using children for their own pleasure, also as slaves, or just ignoring them altogether. I have seen children walking the streets, little ones wandering by themselves with no one watching them. I wonder how can people not want to take care of their own children? How can they not care? It seems like their own parents did not care for them the way they should have. They were probably treated the same way, neglected, and left alone. I know the feeling of being left alone. The longing to have someone to talk to, someone to hold onto when you are scared, someone to show you that you are loved. Children learn from all adults they come in contact with. This is the way they get their personalities. The way they are treated and taught, is the way they will act when they are teenagers and adults. If they are not taught and treated well when they are children, they will not be able to succeed in our society. Children, teenagers, often have no respect for others, or their property, they talk back to adults, and their elders. They do nothing but sleep, and sit around with their friends. They want to do something, which turns into drug and alcohol use. They have no purpose in life, nothing to live for. That is why they end up killing themselves. I see it happening on all reservations over and over again. They are lost; they think no one cares for them, or that everyone is against them. Some have feelings of despair. Maybe they lost someone close to them, the only one who listen to them, or the only one who comforted them. There could be many things going through a child’s mind. As adults it should be our responsibility to help any child any way we can, to give them a good path to walk. Open their eyes to what is in front of them. Give them a better way of thinking than what they were brought up to believe. Give them a good chance to survive in this world. Children are the future; they are the ones that will be making the big choices for our people, and their families. They need to know there are people who care what they think, what they do, how they feel, how they act, and how they present themselves. They need to know there is something better out there in the world. We need to give them a purpose in life. When I was eight years old, my uncle took my cousin and me to work in the grapefruit orchards. We worked ten hour days along side the migrant workers. It was hard but everyone helped us. Hard work gives you a purpose that only you can feel in your own way. That money I earned that summer was the best lesson I could ever have learned in school. It taught me, that everyone was watching out for me, not just my parents, and my brothers but my uncles, aunts, and even the people I was working with, were watching over me. Most of all, the creator is watching over all of us.