Hannah - Mercer Island, Washington

I believe in teaching. I believe in teaching new things, and being curious to learn, curious about every aspect of life, including how to be successful. But firstly, I believe in role models. Someone to look up to, someone who helps shape your life. Someone who helped shape my life. Here I am writing, and this is supposed to be about education, but when it comes down to it, the education I believe in is not the formal education. You gain the education through experience. The places you go, the things you do, and the people you meet.

I think about my life, and the ways I have been educated the most. Yes I go to school but when I really think about my education I think of the people in my past, the people I care about most, and the people I see in myself. I came to this realization this past weekend. When I saw and was reconnected with someone who I idolize. Not my parents or any one related to me but my old babysitter. The babysitter whom I saw everyday, for every summer for at least 7 years. I didn’t realize it then but when I saw her this past weekend I looked at her, and I looked at myself, and I realized how much she shaped my life, how much of her is in me.

Now, my friends call me a music whore. I can’t sit and listen to the same song, or artist, and definitely not a whole album, without wanting to change it. It drives not only my friends but also my parents insane. And not just my indecisiveness about what I want to listen to, but also what music I like. I think back, and we used to listen to everything in the car no matter where we were going whether it was diving, which was a grand total of about three minutes away from my house, or if we went on a longer adventure to Bellevue or Seattle. Nevertheless, no matter what there was always some sort of music playing. The two songs I remember the most are “I Like It, I Love It” by Tim McGraw, and “Jump” by Kris Kross. These two songs are still two of my favorite songs today. And I realize now that I got all of these things from her. From the time, we spent in the car, the pool, my house, just time in general. Those days in the car with her and my brother are some of my most treasured. And are the memories I will never forget.

This is the point in my story where I realized that the real education that I believe in is from the people you surround yourself with, and the people who have helped to shape you as a person. I am not saying that it’s more or less important then an education in school but rather a necessity in order to succeed in school, and the rest of your life. That’s the thing with education is that there are so many different ways that you can be educated and so many different subjects to be educated on. It is difficult to decide what education means to you, but to me it is the lessons you learn from the people around you. The ones that you love the ones that you hate, even the ones that you don’t know. That is what I believe.