Stephanie - Las Cruces, New Mexico

I believe, as a self-proclaimed Moderate and being a registered Democrat, there are some radical liberals who are stealing Christmas I believe that there are some overly aggressive leftists who want nothing more than to deny Christmas to and overtly Christian Nation. I believe in Christmas.

I remember being in the third grade, it was about a week or so before the Christmas Holiday (or should I say the Winter Break). My class was getting ready for our annual gift exchange; we all drew one name from a box, that person would be our Secret Santa. Unfortunately, that year’s exchange didn’t take place. There was no Secret Santa. One of the parents complained, claiming that it brought religion into the schools and that was against our Constitution. I didn’t quite understand at the time what had happened or why, but the whole school was pretty upset; students, teachers, administration, and parents. My mom was an advocate and spoke out against the banning. We weren’t even allowed to decorate Christmas trees in our classrooms anymore, and if we did they had to be called Friendship Trees. My mom thought this was absolutely ridiculous. She went all the way to the administration. She said, “Having a gift exchange and banning Christmas trees is not a violation of the separation of church and state. Christmas trees and gift exchanges originate from pagan rituals and are not associated with Christianity. Get your facts straight”. Needless to say the next year the gift exchange was back!

I am Democrat and I am a Christian, some may argue that the two don’t belong together. To those I say “are you kidding, what’s wrong with Jesus”. I believe in Jesus and I read Christian Holy Scripture. I also watch the news. This War on Christmas does exist.

Merry Christmas to you, you, you and you;

Merry Christmas, to Christians, Muslims and Jews.

Oh! No! Don’t say that out loud!

It might be offensive to some in this crowd.

Take down all those lights the green and the red.

Take them down, take them down, take them down I said.

No wreaths that are green, no sugar plum dreams.

And definitely not…no nativity scenes.

Shave that beard, lose some weight, and put down the fruit cake.

Go now trim the tree it is sure to bring cheer,

The friendship tree it’s what we’ll call it this year.

To the steps of the Court the one that’s Supreme,

To ban all the milk, cookies and cream.

“We must be inclusive”, that’s what you said.

Undoubtedly it’s true and while it makes us so blue

Christmas will end so long as the Courts continue this trend.

The Grinch didn’t steel Christmas, the Radical Liberals did. I am not insensitive when I wish someone a Merry Christmas, I just love my faith and I love my traditions. This I know, this I believe.